Sunday, January 5, 2014

In: Oatmeal banana pancakes

My boyfriend has been on a low FODMAP diet, so my recipe tutorials will generally be FODMAP-free (at least, for the time-being). He found this banana oat pancake recipe from COOKIE+kate that he wanted to try, and I decided to give it a go. I was a bit skeptical because it didn't require any milk, but the pancakes were actually pretty delicious! I also was able to test out the new cast iron pan that I got for Christmas. :)

I followed the recipe to-the-T. Here are my personal pictures of the recipe and my thoughts/results:

Step 1: Get your ingredients and supplies together. (Note: yields 6 four-inch diameter pancakes)

Ingredients
3 small bananas (~9 ounces)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon maple syrup
2 eggs
1 cup oat flour (I'll show you how to make this later)
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg


Supplies
cast iron pan (not required, but great for consistent cooking)
blender/mixer/grinder (for the oat flour)


Step 2: Combine the wet ingredients.
I mashed the bananas...

...and then mixed in the other wet ingredients (lemon juice, maple syrup, melted butter), blending in the eggs last. Set this bowl aside.













Step 3: Combine the dry ingredients.
The store didn't carry any oat flour (and I didn't know how much I would use it), so I bought some oatmeal and made my own oat flour. It was really easy. Basically, I just ground up the oats in my Magic Bullet (I love my MB), and voilĂ --oat flour.
     

Once that was ready, I mixed in the other dry ingredients (baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg) in a medium-sized bowl. I used my flat-head whisk for this, although I think they're typically used for whisking sauces.

Step 4: Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture.
I made a well (basically make a volcano shape with the mix) and added the wet mixture, pouring the wet mixture into the center of the well and then mixing everything together (Note: COOKIE+kate suggest that you not overmix the batter).

Step 5: Wait 10 minutes.
Once everything is combined, set aside the mixture aside for 10 minutes so the baking soda can react with the wet ingredients.

While this is set aside, I turned the stove on to medium-low and put my cast iron pan on the burner. I also added some butter to prevent the pancake batter from sticking. Cast iron pans are great because they maintain the same level of heat, unlike many standard pans that get hotter with prolonged cooking. However, a standard pan can be used but cooking times may have to decrease for successive batches of pancakes.

Step 6: Cook the pancakes.
Pour 1/4 cup pancake batter onto the hot pan. Make sure not to increase the temperature, as medium-low is perfect for cooking the pancakes (I found out, the hard way, that if you increase the temperature, the pancakes are more likely to burn).
After about 3-5 minutes, you should see bubbles forming in the batter. That means it's time to flip (check the underside, though, to make sure that the bottom is browned).
Cook for another 2-3 minutes once the pancakes have been flipped. Now, they're ready to be served!

This recipe makes 6 4-inch diameter pancakes, so unless your cast iron pan or griddle can handle all of those at once, you'll want to leave the cooked pancakes in the oven at 150-200 degrees Fahrenheit so that you can serve all of the pancakes at once. These are great with some maple syrup and a cup of orange juice! Enjoy!

*J*

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious and are gluten-free! I can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete